Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Jumping Right Into It

Not sure if its appropriate to start out a new blog w/a gripe or two, but hey its my little corner of the world where there is no front needed. While my son was reading on a fave author or a fave book this afternoon; mind you he is smart, he was reading about something he said sounded like him...Asperger's syndrome. Guess I never really thought about it but he does fit the description almost to a "T". I asked him if he wnated me to pursue it and try to get him an IEP...for some weird reason he declined. Alas that was my weird thought for the moment/day.

Assessment on Rhi for speech said she was close to acceptable range for her age; this was something we already knew. At the age of one she was diagnosed w/developmental delays; her fine/gross motor, social, cognitive and such were all at least 9 months behind. Shortly after that came the daignosis for SPD or Sensory Processing Disorder. And as soon as I can get the new doc in our new town to get her referral to OT I think I want to pursue a few other things that are slowly becoming evident.

My daughter also has acid reflux and seasonal allergies mixed into this little hodge podge mess; it proves to be interesting for sure. We moved to Tn from Oh in hopes that it would help w/her and Boogie's allergies and it has. It has also helped w/other health issues; alas I had gotten lax though on her main ones and did not push her IEP. Now that we are pushing it, the doc office is being silly. I'm used to pediatrician that would bend over backwards to get whatever I needed for Rhi Rhi; I'm not sure this family doc will. We shall see.

The last week or so Rhi has not been feeling herself; its just little things that most tend to brush off. Yet even her preschool teacher is noticing little things. Rhi is choking on things she has never choked on before this week, she is also bossy and not listening...these are not things normal to her. Granted she is bossy, yet she seems to have forgotten her manners. She has become clingy to me real bad again; I can't even leave the room we are in together w/out her freaking out. And the best part is...I have been her main caretaker from birth; Boogie is a close second and daddy somewhere in third, I'm the only one she screams after. And this of course offends her daddy; he takes it personal. Not like I need another child around the house, alas it seems I have one. Then again Dawn understands a bit into that scenario.


Rhi seems to be seeking the comfort of tightness in her clothes. Her jeans are tighter than a teenager trying to impress her bf and she is into the feeling of football jerseys all of a sudden. Its near impossible to strap a three year old into a car seat w/out getting into her personal space around her face. She just seems really off candor right now; I wish I knew what threw her off as I want my littlest one back. This little she-demon is a harsh does of reality. Her demeanor is flighty and she flies off the handle if the breeze blows the wrong hair. Such as it is, now that I'm feeling a little better its time to jet and finish up other chores. Hopefully this will get to be more than a gripe session but guess one has to start somewhere.

Despite how wrong things may go in Rhi's world, I can count on a small list of songs to make it better when they come on the radio or (miraculously) on Boogie's cell phone. There seems to be something about Alan Jackson's voice (on his new cd) that will calm the savage winds of this three year old little girl. And then there are a few others such as Big Green Tractor or Small Town USA or American Ride that can also calm these savage winds. 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome. I hope writing all this down and getting it out helps you. Have you thought about getting RhiRhi an mp3 player filled with those songs that have a calming affect on her?

    Taylor loves hers and it keeps her occupied. We also got my autistic grandson one and his does wonders when he gets over stimulated.

    They make them for kids and Taylor's is a pink Disney one that works really well.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete